Healthy and tasty muffins are possible. The first step is to substitute canola oil for the butter. Adding 5 grains is also better than one. Wheat, rye, barley, tricticale and flaxseed are packed full of fiber and are low in fat. If you do not enjoy mushy oatmeal, these muffins are an excellent alternative. Raisins or other dried fruits could be added as well. These are easily one of my new favourite muffins.
- 1-1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill 5 Grain Rolled Hot cereal
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 apple peeled and grated
- In large mixing bowl, combine flour, rolled oats, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together milk, egg, oil and vanilla. Always separate wet and dry ingredients when baking muffins. Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients. Add in grated apple and combine thoroughly until all ingredients are moistened. Spoon muffin batter into a greased muffin pan. Makes approximately 12 muffins.
- Bake in centre of oven at375°F for about 20 minute. Let cool in pan on rack for 5 minutes. Transfer to cooling rack and let cool completely.
- Once cooled you can wrap these muffins up individually in a zip-lock bag or with plastic wrap and freeze for two weeks.