Chicken Parmesan is one of my many favourite dinners. It is filling and oh so satisfying. You can make your own favourite tomato sauce or use my recipe. However, a good quality Parmesan and mozzarella cheese is a must! It gives this meal an over the top flavour and the cheeses give a melted deliciousness that is beyond compare.
I have wanted to use our fine china that we received as a wedding gift for a while now. Chicken Parmesan seemed like the ideal gourmet dish to serve. With a side of green peas and some sparkling apple juice in our wine glasses it was the perfect fancy Friday meal. When we have our parents over for a dinner next I would definitely make this meal.
Brunch is a delightful way to spend a Saturday meal and so Jonathan, his co-worker Meg and I headed to Brooklyn Street Local in Detroit. I ordered a grilled cheese sandwich with a garden salad and Jonathan ordered the eggs Benedict. Everything was scrumptious and the latte I ordered was tasty. Next we headed to the Somerset Collection for some shopping.
For an early bird dinner we went to Noble Fish for sushi. This sushi is the best I have ever had! The fish is super fresh tasting and there isn’t any mayonnaise filler that sometimes comes in sushi. My favourite are the salmon rolls and the spicy tuna rolls. I could eat salmon everyday of the week and not get tired of it, so we also ordered salmon sashimi. The restaurant is in the back of a grocery store with very few tables, but the atmosphere is fun and very serious about their sushi.
1 L tomato puree
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp oregano
2 tsp basil
2 tsp red wine vinegar
½ tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
2 chicken breasts, flattened
½ cup bread crumbs
½ tsp pepper
¼ cup Parmesan cheese
¼ cup melted butter
1 cup Galati cheese shredded (mozzarella)
¼ Parmesan cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Begin by making the sauce. In a medium pan add olive oil, onions and garlic and sauté until onions are cooked.
- Add in oregano, basil, salt and pepper and stir for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Stir in tomato puree and red wine vinegar.
- Simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Next combine the breadcrumbs, pepper and Parmesan cheese in a bowl.
- Melt butter and then dip chicken into butter then breadcrumb minute.
- Add a small amount of canola oil to coat the fry pan. Pan fry chicken at medium high temperature for 3 minutes on each side or until golden and crispy looking.
- In your baking dish add a thin layer of tomato sauce on the bottom. Next place chicken in baking dish and sprinkle mozzarella and Parmesan on top. Add a layer of tomato sauce and then another layer of mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
- Serve on top of spaghetti with green peas on the side.