I am behind on my posting – however, this recipe is too good not to share. I made cheddar and green chili scones last weekend for brunch with Jonathan. Oatmeal, scones, fried eggs, and hot tea all combined for a perfect brunch. We had lovely conversation and enjoyed a perfect morning waking up slowly. There is nothing better than waking up to the smell of freshly baked scones. The recipe is from Smitten Kitchen but I substituted green chillies for the jalapeno peppers.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick or 4 ounces) cold butter, cut
1/2 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
2 tablespoons green chili (mine were from a can)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Then mix together flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
2. Cut cold butter into the flour mixture until the butter is the size of small peas.
3. In a small separate bowl lightly beat eggs.
4. Mix in heavy cream and eggs with a wooden spoon until dough forms.
5. Add in 1/2 cup shredded cheddar and green chili to the dough. Then knead in the cheese and green chilis.
6. Cut dough into the desired shapes and place onto baking pan. Sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese.
7. Bake for 12-14 minutes until golden on top and cooked in the centre.
Note: Scones are always best enjoyed the first day.