Dinner last night was a new recipe from the Spring 2012 Food & Drink magazine. Jonathan and I tried out this recipe for dinner and were extremely pleased with the results. The only thing we would change is the wine choice. The Chilean organic chardonnay was flavourful and lovely however, next time we will probably use a more dry Riesling. We selected our wine from the vintages section of the LCBO and we made a decision on it, probably because it was organic. (Still a tasty wine though, we really did enjoy it.)
Modification to the recipe was the addition of zucchini, we had one in the refrigerator and it turned out to be one of my favourite parts of the dish. The mushrooms and peas were delicious (mushrooms and peas are always delicious) in a nice creamy and flavourful sauce. It was the fresh peas and mushrooms that drew me to the recipe originally. The fresh thyme and chives are a must have, they added the yum factor, dried spices just cannot compete.
If it was my family eating this dish, someone would probably object to zucchini, we all have such different tastes. Sarah hates mushrooms and Dad would probably want to take a vote as to whether the meal would go into the regular rotation of favourite meals. However, the nice thing about cooking for Jonathan is that we both love so many of the same foods. Maybe this is why we are soulmates? Jonathan and I both agreed that we would make this recipe again!
12 oz (375 g) broad egg noodles
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, finely sliced
4 large cloves garlic, minced
2 lbs mixed wild mushrooms (halving or quartering larger ones so they are all similar in size)
1 cup sliced zucchini
1 tbsp fresh chopped thyme
½ tsp of salt and pepper
1 cup white wine
1 cup sour cream
2 tbsp finely chopped chives
- Cook egg noodles according to package directions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a large, deep, nonstick skillet, heat butter with oil over medium-high heat until butter is melted and foamy.
- Add finely sliced onion and cook until golden (about 5 minutes).
- Add garlic and cook for one more minute.
- Stir in sliced mushrooms, sliced zucchini, peas, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook until mushrooms are nice and golden and perfectly sauted.
- Add white wine and cook until reduced by half (about 2 minutes).
- Mix in sour cream, stir well, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until it is perfectly piping hot.
- Serve over hot egg noodles and garnish with fresh chopped chives on top.