Today, I found myself craving fall flavours, which to me means apples. There is nothing better than the smell of cinnamon baking in an apple spice cake. This recipe is comfort food that has a delightful combination of ginger, cinnamon and applesauce. For the icing I have chosen to sprinkle icing sugar and make a simple icing sugar and milk drizzle. It would also be a perfect flavour combination to go with a cup of coffee in the early morning on the dock at the cottage.
Here at home, everyone has been working hard during the summer months. Next week Mom, Dad, Sarah and I will be going up north to the cottage for a week. My Dad has moved his office to downtown Toronto from North York. He enjoys the downtown office, but he is looking forward to the greenery of the cottage and doing some fishing. Everyone is looking forward to some cottage recipes, which include: easy barbeque recipes, fresh salads and maybe even some ice cream.
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
4 large eggs
1 cup vanilla yogurt
1 ½ cups apple sauce
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, whisk 2 1/2 cups flour with baking powder, salt, ground ginger and ground cinnamon; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars on high speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until incorporated. Reduce speed to low; add flour mixture in three additions, alternating with one addition of yogurt and one addition of applesauce.
- Coat a 12-cup nonstick Bundt pan with cooking spray or grease the pan lightly with margarine. Spread batter in prepared pan.
- Bake cake on bottom rack of oven until a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean, 60 to 70 minutes.
- Cool in pan 20 minutes. Invert onto a rack; cool completely, topside up. Tap the top of the bundt cake pan with a wooden spoon to make sure the bundt cake comes out evenly and does not break apart.
Icing Sugar Drizzle
1 cup icing sugar sifted, 3 teaspoons of milk stirred together and drizzled lightly on top of cake.