Sweet potato is one of my favourite vegetables. I was rummaging in the refrigerator around lunchtime and saw sweet potatoes, so I thought I would make soup. Fresh sweet potato, apple, baby carrots, ginger root and rosemary combine to create a delightful and refreshing soup. The ginger, cumin, and crushed chili flakes give a light spicy flavour that is mild, but delivers a touch of heat. More crushed chili flakes can be added for a spicier soup.
This soup is easy to make and extremely healthy! I was reading through Chatelaine magazine and soup was one of their recommendations for weight loss and maintaining a healthy weight. Combine this soup with sunflower or pumpkin seeds, a twenty-minute workout session and you will be on you way to a healthier lifestyle.
2 tbsp of canola oil
1 shallot sliced finely
2 sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
Half of an organic apple – peeled and cubed
1 handful of baby carrots
4 cups vegetable broth
2 garlic cloves minced
thumb sized piece of fresh ginger root – minced
½ tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
½ tsp cumin
1 tbsp fresh rosemary
1/8 tsp crushed chili flakes (or more if you like it spicier)
- In pot place oil, sliced shallot, ginger root, garlic and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add chopped and cubed sweet potato, apple and handful of baby carrots and let soften.
- Add vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Add in spices.
- Boil for 20-30 minutes or until vegetables have softened and will break apart with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Put in blender and combine with pulsing motions. If needed reheat in saucepan. Add fresh rosemary for garnish. Then serve.